About Ranikhet "The Queens of Meadows"
Ranikhet, which means Queen's meadow in Hindi, gets its name from a local legend, which states that it was here, that Raja Sudhardev won the heart of his queen, Rani Padmini, who subsequently chose the area for her residence, giving it the name, Ranikhet, though no palace exists in the area. In 1869, the British established the headquarters of the Kumaon Regiment here and used the station as a retreat from the heat of the Indian summer. At one time during British Raj, it was also proposed as the summer headquarters of Government of India, in lieu of Shimla. In 1900, it had a summer population of 7,705, and its corresponding winter population was measured in 1901 as 3,153
Places of Interest
Army Museum, Jhula Devi temple, Rama Mandir (temple), Rock painting at Rama Mandir, View from Panyali, Chaubatia Gardens
Out Station Tariff, Per Km
Click to set custom HTML