About Lansdowne "The Cantonment Town Pauri Garhwal"
Originally known as Kaludanda after Kalu (Black) and Danda (Hill) in Garhwali, Lansdowne was founded and named after then Viceroy of India (1888-1894), Lord Lansdowne in 1887, and by 1901 it had a population of 3943. Lansdowne was developed by the British for catering for the Recruits Training center of the Garhwal Rifles. Lansdowne was a major place of the activities of freedom fighters from British Garhwal during British period. Nowadays, the famous Garhwal Rifles of the Indian Army has its command office here. Lansdowne is one of the quietest hill stations of India and is popular since Britishers came to India. Lansdowne is unlike other hill stations as it is well connected with motorable roads but remote in its own way. It is situated at an altitude of 1,706 mts above sea level surrounded with thick oak and blue pine forests in the Pauri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand state.
Places of Interest
The War Memorial, at the Parade Ground of the Garhwal Rifles Center is an attraction for the visitors. Places of interest around the city are Tip n Top View Point offers excellent views of surrounding Shivalik Hills. Santoshi Mata Temple, Regimental Museum (also called the Darwan Singh Sanghralaya), Bhullatal Lake(a must visit for boating enthusiasts) St. Mary's Church, Lover's lane etc. The excursions from the city are Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple, Bhairav Garhi Temple, Bhim Pakora (a stone which vibrates if touched).The Annual ‘Sharadotsava’ (Festival of Autumn) is also organized at this hill station during autumn season.
Out Station Tariff, Per Km
Click to set custom HTML